Tuesday, September 24, 2013

What to do when your teenager talks to you about sex and dating






Emma remembers the day vividly. She had been listening to music and sipping on one of her favorite drinks---contemplating on why she was experiencing the dismal funk that had been keeping her company for the past few weeks on end. Several hours later (an hour or so past her curfew) her oldest daughter Sarah walked into the door. Emma was about to lecture her once again about being disobedient when she noticed the peculiar look on her daughter’s face.  “I want to start dating, I want to know if you will take me to the clinic to get birth control, I’m going on sixteen-years old and I think it’s time…” She continued on in this way for what seemed like forever as we played our game of charades. However, the room was dark so she couldn’t see my facial expression. This must be the reason she was so bold, I’m thinking.

If it had not been for the fact that I had just finished a drink and settled into bed, I would have been blasting all kinds of verbs into her face. However, I was able to calm down still wishing that I could turn around and go back to sleep. But, as I turned around to look at my daughter, I noticed she was turning into an adult. And, it is normal for teenagers her age to become interested in boys. I secretly gave her some dap for asking for birth control. It helped me to keep my sanity.

What is a date, I asked my daughter. Satisfied with the answer, I went on to tell her that just because she went out on a date with someone doesn’t mean he is her boyfriend. I then asked her if she has someone in particular in mind. Afraid for her fragile emotional state, I also went on to explain to her that just because she has a boyfriend doesn’t mean that he only wants to date just her.

What are your intentions with this guy, I asked. She went on to explain to me what boyfriends and girlfriends do together. I mentioned to her that most boys move on with their life fairly quickly after getting involved in a relationship and she shouldn’t become so emotionally involved at her age herself.

Because of the time of day, I ended the conversation at this point having every intention to pick it back up the next day without the influence of alcohol. The next day, I went to the library and checked out every book I could find on the subjects of dating and relationships.

Thus far no one has popped up at my front door claiming to be her knight and shining armor. But if he does, I have every intention on finding out who he is.




The names in this story have beenchanged to protect their privacy.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment